Sunday, February 7, 2010

Training Day

First Al Fresco poo (by Al). The cycle ride to El Mollar started out flat for 30km, then we began to climb. it got hotter and hotter and we kept having to stop to cool down. Even every 2km. I noticed I was trembling. At about 40km (25km to go) we couldn't really manage any more climbing, so we turned around to head back. We were stopping at every kilometre by now.

The downhills were amazing but of course followed by 30km on the flat and by now blazing hot road. There was no shade, so we suffered quite a bit on that last stretch. I badly burned my hands and this training ride reminded us how dangerous heat and hills can be. We were dowsing ourselves with water and still were too hot.


Other incidents included a shewee misadventure and an old boy talking at me in untelligble Spanish for the best part of 20 minutes and concluding with his telling me how good my Spanish is. All I'd said was "si, si" throughout.
How glad we were to get back to the hotel for a shower and a lie down.

No comments:

Post a Comment