Monday, February 15, 2010

Cafayate

We had a large pasta dinner last night and I ate too much, so felt unwell.
A nice-looking little dog came over and I gave her a tummy rub.
Next morning I felt decidedly under par. Definitely a dicky tummy.
Out of the town we came across some fabulously designed gates.

The road to Colalao was mosty downhill and easy. We passed through it and continued on to Cafayate. The scenery was desert with candelabra styel cacti. A lot had been cleared and been turned into vineyards. Kilometre signage was a bit haphazard, with a 17km and 16km sign more than 8km apart!

Al went for another al fresco poo, as he had a dicky tummy, too. I wasn't brave enough to.
It was hot and I found the last 20km more of a struggle than they should have beeen.
We passed acres of grapevines and then found the campsite. It's pretty sandy, but seems okay if a little crowded.
The loos are the best so far and the showers would get top mark if they had hot water and somewhere to put your clothes (surely they don't expect you to turn up for your shower completely naked?)

The town seems to cater to wealthy tourists here to do wine tours. There are restaurants and comfortable-looking hotels. Definitely not like places we've been to so far. We couldn't find a supermarket, though.

We had a steak dinner and noticed quite a few international tourists, including a middle class dutch twit and his wife. They had difficulty understanding the menu but weren't prepared to do what we do: order it anyway and see what you get. When we told them the mystery word on the menu was mutton, he fretted that it might be too fatty.
We ate, paid and got into our tent and were then kept awake by some outdoor concert being held just a few blocks away.

At 2.45 I checked my watch and thought: "I know you're all night owls, but c'mon, bedtime now".
The music went on all night. I last checked my watch at 6.30 am, long after the male singes had stopped being able to hit all the right notes (they must have been as tired as I was).
After listening to several hours of their singing in and out of tune, I was fuming. If we hadn't decided to spend an extra day here, we'd be getting up after no night's sleep. I think we should declare war on Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment